If you love nuts as much as we do, you might have some questions about them. Is it bad to eat too many of them? Which kinds are actually legumes?
Can you survive on a diet made purely of nuts?
- The unsaturated fatty acids, fiber and protein in nuts help lower high cholestrol, reduce blood clots(which lead to heart attacks), and improve the lining of our arteries, they also keep us full for longer periods of time and provide a good dose of Omega-3s.
BADAM - ALMONDS
Almonds are incredibly popular tree nut. Highly nutritious and extremely healthy
A 1 ounce (28 grams, or small handful) serving of almonds contains (1):
- Fiber: 3.5 grams.
- Protein: 6 grams.
- Fat: 14 grams (9 of which are monounsaturated).
- Vitamin E: 37% of the RDA.
- Manganese: 32% of the RDA.
- Magnesium: 20% of the RDA.
- They also contain a decent amount of copper, vitamin B2 (riboflavin) and phosphorus.
This is all from a small handful, which supplies only 161 calories and 2.5 grams of digestible carbohydrates.
- Almonds are a fantastic source of antioxidants. Antioxidants help to protect against oxidative stress, which can damage molecules in cells and contribute to aging and diseases like cancer. The powerful antioxidants in almonds are largely concentrated in the brown layer of the skin.
- Almonds are high in vitamin E, which protects your cell membranes from damage.
- Almonds can assist with blood sugar control, reduced blood pressure and lower cholesterol levels. They can also reduce hunger and promote weight loss.
- Magnesium decreases stress on blood vessels, promotes oxygen flow and decreases free radical damage to the heart.
- Flavonoids: In almond skins, there are 20 potent flavonoids that work together with vitamins C and E to produce antioxidant action.
- Copper: As with manganese, it is essential to the body's metabolic enzymes.
- Fibre and protein: One-quarter of a cup of almonds has more than four grams of fibre (which helps your digestive system work efficiently) and 7.62 grams of protein.
- Eating almonds reduces hunger, Lowering your overall calorie intake.
You have kidney problems. Almonds are high in oxalates, which can cause problems with the kidney and gallbladder and interfere with calcium absorption.
WALNUTS - AKHROT
Walnuts are a wrinkly, globe-like nut that is the fruit of the walnut tree. They grow in a hard shell, which when opened reveals the walnut. This is then split in two and hence you will be familiar with seeing them as flat segments. Walnuts are usually eaten raw or roasted.
- Nutritional value of walnuts
- Walnuts good for the brain
- Walnuts good for heart health
- Walnuts help with weight loss
- Walnuts good for the digestive system